Powered By Blogger

Pictures and Permissions: What you need to know!

I am addressing an issue that a few people have clicked on my email link and sent some interesting emails to me and though I appreciate your discretion I feel strongly now about addressing this on my blog to not contribute to any more drama and also give you food for thought.

Tin Eye located at www.tineye.com is a reverse image service on the internet where you can copy a picture location and paste into the URL search.  They have millions of scanned images that are in their data base that is done through a web crawler that matches pixels and other factors instead of key words.  Even if you are using your own image your picture will often track back to the person who has taken the picture.. so do you have the rights to use this picture?  I have learned today the answer is yes and no.. if it has been uploaded to for example an amateur photo site the licensing of this picture will track back to the person who first uploaded it.  You must request written permission  to use this photo and also give credit to the person who took this picture.  Having said all this.. I am now learning even if you have taken a photograph sitting in front of your web cam and have posted it on the internet for example in your facebook profile.. and someone grabs the image and actually uses it on the web for example in one of many data bases that  get scanned for images the licensing of this photo becomes the property of that person who uploaded it as this is where the image tracks back too.. I looked at dates knowing there is no way that someone could have a sooner date and time then me as it was taken on my computer cam.. but it opens up the door to how I ask for permission for something I have taken my self and have no rights to as I did not copyright my picture nor did I originally post it on a data base that images are scanned daily from.  I do not have the answers.. but I have learned another lesson, and this is to make sure that my pictures track back to me or that I get the expressed permission to  use my likeness. 

I took post off and pictures of me while I do just that.. and have so far been emailed one permission and also verification that it is me in the picture.  When someone takes your picture and uploads it where it tracks back there are also things they can do which includes your real name in the tags.. and so forth but do you want a lot of personal information of you out there?  We live in a world where we want to check up on each other but we also need to use some reasoning.  I urge all of you to check out your own pictures and understand if you run into track backs that lead to other people this does not mean your identity is being stolen or that you are fake but simply that the person who took a picture is where it leads..also if you discover as I have that even a picture you took yourself from your computer leads to someone else it is because you have put it out there unprotected where they could capture it.  I like the Tin Eye site and think it is a great tool to help you determine certain things but just remember that often it is not what you may think.  I will shortly be restoring my post and pictures with attachments of documents for written permission and contact info to verify this of each picture in question.  I am sorry to even have to address this on my blog but I take pride in who I am and felt under attack to some extent and I even know that the person who addressed the issue that this was not her intention.. and it is a valid point that she makes.. as various pics track back to different locations all the same person in each picture.. I know this because it is me.. if anyone still has doubts I am on skype and more than happy to do skype calls to verify my identity.. I often have used skype in the past when I had doubts about a pot SD and that either removed my doubts or proved I was right in doubting.  So I urge you to think critically when looking into someones background, pictures, profiles and when in doubt just simply ask to skype.. or ask for proof as those that are real should not have a problem with addressing the issue and will probably be relieved to clear up your doubts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment